SICKLE CELL TRAIT / CARRIERS

The sickle cell trait is inherited when one sickle cell gene is passed on from one parent. This does not result in the sickle cell disorder and symptoms rarely manifest. Sickle cell trait carriers are prevalent in Malaria-endemic areas. If you are from a risky area and/or have a family history of sickle cell disease, it is advisable to have a blood test to know your sickle cell trait status.

Most Sickle cell trait carriers are healthy, however, medical providers should be informed of this status especially when undertaking certain medical procedures that require anesthetics, for example, general surgery.  Knowing your sickle trait status will help you make informed decisions when planning a family. There is a 50% chance that a child born from one parent carrying the sickle cell trait, will also inherit the gene. There is a 25% chance that a child born from parents who are both carriers will inherit the 2 traits and develop the sickle cell disease. There is also a 25% chance that a child born from parents who are both carriers will be a non-carrier.